If you’re like most homeowners, your garage is one of the areas of your home that you don’t think about too often. But what if there was a way to make it look better without breaking the bank? In this blog post, we’ll give you some tips on how to make your old garage look better. Stay tuned!
Ideas For Cheap And Easy Garage Renovations
Is the garage inaccessible because of a lack of organisation? Is your garage already full of automobiles, making it impossible to store your sports gear and other outdoor necessities? Any advice you find online about improving your garage will eventually need to be put into action.
You should be able to put your garage to better use than merely housing your vehicle if you keep it in good shape. You can use them as storage spaces, workshops, or even worship centres. Learn how to make the most of the space you have by stowing away things like rakes, toolboxes, and sports gear in an orderly fashion.
The initial actions include organising and determining the area’s purpose. Then, you can clear out the mess and replace it with functional equipment and storage with the help of these do-it-yourself garage renovation ideas.
Put Your Tools In The Magnetic Panels
Using just your creativity and some inexpensive tools, you can fully renovate your garage. To do your task safely and efficiently, though, you need to have all of your tools in one place. While toolboxes provide a secure location for your equipment, it’s much more convenient to keep everything you need within arm’s reach.
Tools can be displayed and stored on magnetic panels, freeing up valuable floor space. They are neatly tucked away and easy to get to (not to mention extremely affordable).
To Avoid Cluttering Your Workshop, Invest In A Folding Workbench.
Choose a foldable workbench to save room in your garage instead of a bulky, permanent work table.
The benefits of foldable workbenches that are mounted on the wall are numerous.
- Give up some desk space
- Equipment storage compartments that fold flat for transport and stowage design
Portable workbenches can be purchased from hardware stores or built from scratch with minimal effort.
Incorporate Hooks Into The Ceiling For Bicycle Storage
It’s common to lean bicycles against a garage wall since there’s nowhere else to put them.
Don’t waste your spacious rooms by piling stuff up to the ceiling. While ceiling hooks are low-cost and easy to instal, bike racks can cost anywhere from $200 to $600. When you want to remodel your garage but are on a limited budget, these savings are significant.
This is what you’ll require:
- The rubber-coated hooks sold at most hardware stores can be purchased for a few dollars at most.
- Drill a hole for each hook in the garage ceiling and twist them into position.
- A vertical display of bicycles requires that each be hung by a single wheel.
Design And Make Your Own Garden Tool Storage
Is your carport doubled as a glasshouse? Eventually, the shovels, rakes, brooms, and other cleaning tools in your garage will get thrown together in a jumbled heap. All of these materials can be stored neatly and efficiently in one hose mounted to the wall.
We were wondering if you had a spare hose. Then, using the scissors, cut a slit into the front of each piece and divide it into pieces of about 7 inches. Nail them vertically to the wall with the entrance facing forwards. These are just the right size for stowing away lawn and garden tools in the garage.
Mount Shelves In The Ceiling For More Space
You can avoid having a messy garage floor by dangling some of your boxes, totes, and crates from the ceiling.
High up in a closet or on an overhead shelf is a great place to store bulky crates, seasonal decorations, and seldom-used clothing. These storage bins placed to the ceiling can support up to 600 pounds. The price range is wide, from $20 to $500, but it all depends on how much room you need and how sturdy it needs to be.
The overhead hoist pulley is convenient for frequent use because it can be used to effortlessly lower or elevate crates, kayaks, equipment, and tools with a simple rope pull.
Separate And Organise Your Sports Gear
You know the struggle of organising sports gear if you have kids participating in extracurricular activities. Use vertical wall space by installing a bungee system to store sports equipment instead of floor-based boxes.
We recommend grabbing some bungee cords, nails, and scrap wood. Then:
- Attach three planks of wood at the top and bottom of the wall at a distance equal to the desired storage height.
- You can keep the balls in position by hooking four or five bungee cords to the wooden ledges.
The flexibility of the ropes makes it possible to hang anything from a football to a soccer ball, a basketball, or anything else you might need. A metal variant is also available for a similar price on the internet.
Brilliant Ideas To Transform Your Garage Into A Super Cool Room
Put Some Shelves Up High
Look above if you want to maximise the space in your garage. Keeping things up is always an option. Incorporate hooks and shelves to store infrequently used but essential goods out of sight. Make sure you put things you frequently use at or below eye level.
Create A Coat Room Or Mudroom In The Area Near The Entrance
Use a spare garage corner as a temporary mudroom and save yourself the hassle of cleaning up muddy footprints around the home. Put in a hook or two to hang your coat, a seat to set your hat and gloves on, and some mats to clean your feet before you enter.
Replace Your Old Garage Door With A Newer, Better One
Your home’s aesthetics and resale value will suffer from damage to the garage door. However, installing a new garage door is a great investment if you’re looking to make the most out of your home’s square footage.
If you want to give your home a more finished look, you could replace your dented vinyl or aluminium door with a wood one, but filling in the dents and repainting the door would accomplish the same.
And Add A Remote Control
While garage door openers controlled by remote control are convenient, you may further enhance your home by downloading an app that accomplishes the same with your smartphone.
Put Your Sports Gear Away On Pallets
Whether you’re a die-hard fly fisherman or your children have an endless supply of hockey equipment, you probably have a cluttered garage and a dented car. To make the most of your available room, stack that bulky machinery on top of some old wooden pallets. It’s easy to use pallets as shelving: turn them on end and attach them vertically to a wall. Conveniently inexpensive and rustically styled storage!
Build Up The Insulation!
Even though it probably has the largest door in the home, your garage could be a massive heat drain. Insulation is the first step to taking control of your indoor climate, keeping you toasty in the winter and cool in the summer while also reducing your energy use and costs. In addition, insulation between the studs can make a partially finished room more comfortable throughout the year.
Floor Coating: A Do-It-Yourself Garage Makeover
When renovating your garage, the most difficult choice you’ll face is whether to do the flooring coating alone or hire an expert. Both have their uses and can be customised in many ways. Several home improvement stores sell epoxy garage floor kits, and many resources are available online to help you use them. Coating your garage floor professionally not only improves the quality but also reduces the amount of labour required.
The most common motivation for a DIY garage floor renovation is cost savings. Generally, prices in the country vary widely from region to region.
- P decorative chip coatings cost between $5 and $7 per square foot when done by a professional.
- The price per square foot for a professionally applied solid-colour epoxy finish is around $4 to $5.
- Prices for do-it-yourself kits that cover 400 to 600 square feet range from $200 to $800.
While it’s true that DIY kits can lower your initial investment by half or more, you also need to consider how long the product will last before replacing it. You get what you paid for, as is so often the case. Professionals use a better, longer-lasting products. The improvement can be seen on day one and continues to grow over time. The final price tag is roughly equivalent and may even favour hiring a pro.
The Floor Should Be Painted
A garage with a dirty concrete floor is not appealing and will sell for less than one with a nicer surface. Well, here’s some good news: A fresh coat of paint is a quick and easy way to update the look of any room.
Create A Fun Playground There
To provide children extra space to run around and play, a garage might be a fantastic place to set up a play area. Then, when the weather is nice, the parents may focus on their children without worrying whether or not they locked the back door. In addition, a garage converted into a storage area is valuable, so storing the kids’ toys and arts and crafts there will be sufficient for the home’s selling price.
Putting In New Cabinetry
A new set of cabinets in the kitchen is a great start, but why stop there when you can do the same for the garage? If you instal some cabinets in your garage, you can hide the mess and feel less overwhelmed each time you go there.
It’s Important To Use Paint That Can Prevent Moisture From Getting In
Garages, like basements, and other low-level rooms, often have higher relative humidity levels. Unfortunately, this can be a breeding ground for mould and mildew, meaning the items you’ve stored there won’t have a long shelf life.
Paint the sheetrock walls with paint designed for clean-ability, and paint the masonry or damp walls with moisture-blocking paint, and your garage will be much more accommodating to storage and activities. If you can make the garage warm, dry, and easy to clean, you might spend more time there.
Do You Have A Garage That’s Just Collecting Junk?
GarageSmart® is the perfect way to use all that extra space in your garage! We know many people need help finding storage solutions that suit their needs and budget. That’s why we offer a wide range of options to fit any space and lifestyle.
You’ll be able to find everything you need in your garage, from holiday decorations to bicycles. Plus, our adjustable storage means you can change your mind about what you want to store whenever you want!
Contact us today to get started on your consultation with us!
Your garage is probably one of the least frequented parts of your house. But suppose there was a cheap method to make it appear nicer. You may improve the appearance of your outdated garage by following the advice in this article.
Avoid the temptation to stack things on the ceiling as you organise your garage. Bulky boxes, seasonal decorations, and rarely worn apparel are all well-suited for storage at the upper reaches of a closet or on an overhead shelf.
Instead of relying on boxes on the floor, a bungee system can be installed on the wall to store sports equipment. Crates, kayaks, tools, and other heavy objects can be easily lowered and raised with the help of an overhead hoist pulley. If you want to make the most of the room in your garage, you should look it up. Construct hidden hooks and shelves to stow away seldom-used but necessary items. To avoid tracking mud through the house, set up a makeshift mudroom in a spare part of the garage.
If you want to get the most out of your living space, upgrading to a new garage door is a smart move. The first step in maintaining a comfortable indoor temperature year-round is to instal insulation.
If you have a professional apply a coating to your garage floor, you’ll save time and effort. DIY garage floor projects are typically driven by a desire to cut costs. Painting a space is an inexpensive and simple approach to giving it a new look.
Children’s playthings and arts and crafts supplies may be easily stored in a garage, making it an ideal space for either. It’s possible that you’ll start spending more time in the garage if you make it more comfortable, liveable, and hygienic. If the walls are made of masonry or tend to retain moisture, use a moisture-blocking paint and a paint that is meant to be easily cleaned.
- The garage is one part of the house that most people don’t pay much attention to.
- But suppose there was a cheap method to make it appear nicer.
- Garage improvement tips you read online should be used as soon as possible.
- If you keep it in good order, you may use your garage for more than just parking your car.
- They are versatile enough to serve as warehouses, workshops, or even places of worship.
- Master the art of neatly stowing away your rakes, toolboxes, and sports equipment to make the most of the room you have.
- An initial step is to organise the space and establish its function.
- Then, with the help of these do-it-yourself garage remodelling ideas, you can clean up the space and instal useful tools and shelves.
- Use magnetic panels to store your equipment.
- You may do a complete makeover of your garage with little more than your imagination and a few cheap tools.
- However, you can’t complete the job without a centralised location for all of your equipment.
- Instead of storing a big, permanent work table in your garage, consider purchasing a folding workbench.
- Stop wasting your high ceilings by cramming your belongings in there.
- Bicycle racks can cost anywhere from $200 to $600, while ceiling hooks are inexpensive and simple to instal.
- For those on a tight budget who wish to rebuild their garage, these cost reductions are invaluable.
- Put up hooks by drilling holes in the garage ceiling and then twisting them into place.
- Garage cleaning items, such as shovels, rakes, and brooms, inevitably end up in a disorganised pile.
- Everything you need can be kept together in one simple, wall-mounted hose.
- These are ideal for storing lawn and garden equipment in the basement or garage.
- Make better use of your vertical space by installing shelves in the ceiling.
- By suspending some of your boxes, totes, and crates from the ceiling, you can keep your garage floor clear.
- Bulky boxes, seasonal decorations, and rarely worn apparel are all well suited for storage at the upper reaches of a closet or on an overhead shelf.
- If you mount them to the ceiling, these containers can hold up to 600 pounds.
- An overhead hoist pulley makes it easy to lower or raise crates, kayaks, equipment, and tools with just a pull of a rope, making it ideal for regular use.
- Sort out and put away your sports equipment.
- By attaching four or five bungee cords to the wooden ledges, the balls can be held in place.
- Ropes can be adjusted to accommodate a wide variety of objects, from footballs to soccer balls to basketballs.
- If you want to make the most of the room in your garage, you should look it up.
- It’s always a choice to keep things going.
- Make use of the space near the front door by transforming it into a mudroom or coat closet.
- To avoid tracking mud through the house, set up a makeshift mudroom in a spare part of the garage.
- Put in a new, upgraded garage door in lieu of the old one.
- Damage to the garage door will reduce the kerb appeal and sale price of your home.
- However, if you want to make the most of the space in your home, installing a new garage door is money well spent.
- Further, throw in a dummy remote.
- Even though remote-controlled garage door openers are helpful, you could make your home even better by installing an app on your smartphone that does the same thing.
- Stack your pallets with your athletic equipment.
- You probably have a messy garage and a dented car if you’re a serious fly angler or if your kids have an abundance of hockey equipment.
- Make better use of your space by piling that heavy equipment on top of several wooden pallets.
- Turning pallets on edge and affixing them vertically to a wall makes for simple shelving.
- Your garage may be a major heat loser despite having the widest door in the house.
- Additionally, insulating the space between the studs can make a partially built room more habitable all through the year.
- Whether you should perform the flooring coating yourself or hire a professional is the most challenging decision you’ll face in the renovation of your garage.
- Epoxy garage floor kits are available at many hardware stores, and detailed how-to guides can be found on the web.
- Professionally coating your garage floor will not only increase the quality but also decrease the amount of work needed to complete the project.
- DIY garage floor projects are typically driven by a desire to cut costs.
- P decorative chip coatings by a professional cost between $5 and $7 per square foot.
- The things that experts use are superior and last far longer.
- It is recommended that the flooring be painted.
- The value of a garage with a dirty concrete floor is lower than that of a similar garage with a clean floor.
- Now for some encouraging news: Painting a space is an inexpensive and simple approach to giving it a new look.
- Establish an exciting playground there.
- A garage might be a terrific spot to set up a play area to give kids more room to run around and play.
- The value of a garage that has been transformed into a storage space means that even if you use it to store your children’s toys and arts and crafts, you won’t need to remove them before selling the house.
- While upgrading the kitchen cabinets is a good first step, you might as well do the same for the garage.
- Installing some cupboards in your garage is an easy way to hide the clutter and make going in there a more pleasant experience.
- To make your garage more functional for storing items and engaging in other activities, paint the sheetrock walls with paint made for clean-ability, and paint the masonry or damp walls with paint made to block moisture.
- You might start spending more time in the garage if you make it comfortable, dry, and simple to clean.
FAQs About Old Garage
Does A Painted Garage Increase Home Value?
A finished garage won’t increase the value of your home’s appraisal. However, it may add a “wow” effect to potential buyers and shorten the time that your house is on the market. I did a lot of research at the beginning of my garage transformation project, and there’s a lot to consider.
Is Renovating A Garage Worth It?
Whether you’re just adding storage, re-coating the floor, or doing a complete teardown, garage improvements are well worth the investment. Your new and improved garage will give you a ton more storage and flex space. You can make a new hobby or workshop room, a home gym, or give your family more room to spread out.
What Is The Best Finish For A Garage Floor?
If we’re talking about your garage floor protection options, we may as well start with the best – a polyaspartic floor coating. This high-performance coating is comprised of professional-grade materials that are applied by trained pros using special equipment to deliver long-lasting flooring protection.
What Is The Cheapest Way To Cover Walls In Garage?
Shiplap is actually the perfect choice for garage walls. It’s durable, inexpensive, and easy to install. What is this? Unlike drywall, the solid wood makes it perfect for securing anything, anywhere, with hooks or nails.
What Is The Best Material For A Garage Ceiling?
If you’re planning to turn your garage into a wood or automotive workshop, you’ll need a ceiling that will hold up under some stress but also add light. Metal ceilings are great for this — they are durable and reflect light, and they’re easy to install with no sanding or painting required.